Reflection of the Crest of the Peacock
This article certainly gives me clearer clue about the history of mathematics from alternative perceptions. The first thing that makes me stop is the classical Eurocentric trajectory in figure 1. The history of mathematic could be interpreted biasedly so simple and empty that far away from true history.
When I looked at the spread of mathematical ideas down the age in figure 4, The incredible complex history of mathematics can be explained so clearly and logically by using this simple diagram with types of lines and numbers. This is so fascinating to me that a mathematical way of solving problems can be so powerful. It reminds me that why I always ask my students to try to draw out when trying to solve the complicatedly stated math problems because I believe the saying that a picture worths millions of words. I also was surprised by how many great mathematicians from all the counties contributed to the beautiful mathematical world today was neglected by the Eurocentric model when I look at the alternative trajectory of the 'Dark Ages' in figure 3
Another fascinating fact I found in this article was the library (the house of wisdom) was built in Baghdad and a huge collection of mathematical books and sources from abroad were transported there. This remarkable civilization provides a great opportunity for knowledge exchange and development in the history of mathematics. I think it is interesting that the 'reunion' and 'reduction' concept I have been simply using for solve equations from middle school originated from the Arabic book of Al-Khwarizmi from (c.AD 850) and the term 'reunion' was from the meaning of the book title word 'ajar' means 'broken bone' in Abric.

Good post Megan. I also find it interesting to learn about historically significant centres for the gathering and sharing of mathematical ideas.
ReplyDelete