Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Why Teach History in Math?

 By reading this article, I have more confidence in my beliefs about integrating history in mathematical education.  In my opinion, the history of Mathematics is critically important in teaching. It can help students to understand the concept better. It enables the students to know how to do the math questions and also why they are doing it a certain way. It also can help students develop a deeper understanding of the mathematics they have already studied, by seeing how it was developed over time and in various places. It can also encourage students' creativity and enable them to think out of the box by allowing students to see the historical evidence of alternative ways to approach the concepts. However, before I read this article, I think the implementation is difficult, and I  have only limited ideas about how the history of math can be integrated into teaching including some important theorems and proofs. That is fascinating that this article brings a variety of other ways to integrate history into math education. I will definitely implement the historical problems and experiential mathematical activities in my class with the control of time.

During my reading, I  have to stop at the part of taking advantage of errors. First, I feel it is interesting and I want to learn how the errors come from and why. Secondly, I have never thought about taking advantage of the historical errors to teach. I also stopped at the questions with no solutions and famous question unsolved. Before this course, I think it is crazy and overwhelming to try to understand or solve, but now I start to think this is the reason why math is interesting, creative, and fascinating. I also want to study more about the simple proofs of the Pythagorean theorem in different cultures because Pythagorean is one of my favorite topics.




1 comment:

  1. Megan, I am sure that you will come up with many creative ways to teach with the histories of mathematics during this course! And I hope that you continue your research of Pythagorus.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on this course

  This course opened my mind to the history of mathematics. It is fascinating to read the articles from the Crest of Peacock to Trivium and...