This course opened my mind to the history of mathematics. It is fascinating to read the articles from the Crest of Peacock to Trivium and quadrivium to An introduction to the Golden Age of medieval Islam's mathematics. I had fun trying to solve and prove the volume of pyramid frustum using both the Egyptian and modern ways. It is addicting to solve those classical puzzles magic squares. I loved learning about the Babylonian base-60 number system and its relation to time, calendar, angle, astronomy, and even human fingers and toes bones ( I have learned the word cuniform means the three bones in our feet). The dancing Ecludian proofs just blew my mind as I have never thought about the abstract proofs that could be demonstrated by dancing. Amazingly, through the presentation of mathematical history slides, all of my peers created valuable mathematical history notes for our future teaching. I enjoyed researching the compass and straightedge method and making my own drawing with my daughter's help. It is so thankful to learn from this course and all of my peers' fabulous creative ideas to present the beauty in mathematics history.
Wonderful! Thanks so much, Megan. It is a pleasure working with you in all our classes.
ReplyDelete