Saturday, October 17, 2020

Homework due on Oct 19-Constructing a magic square




This question I started randomly, then it didn't work. Then I start to put 5 s
in the middleince 5 is in the middle of these numbers and put 1 and 9 on the diagonal coner. I started to realize that I only need to put the number beside 5 add up to 10 horizontally, vertically and diagonally. For the first try, column 1 and 3 didn't work. So I need to rearrange the number, then I have the second try, it worked. 
In conclusion with this question, I found the pattern is that 5 in the middle, the number besides  5 add up to 10 and the four coners are even numbers.




2 comments:

  1. Very good. So why is it that the even numbers have to be in the corners? Try taking your curiosity one step further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, I think it because we have 4 even number and 5 odd numbers also we need number 15 which is odd number, if we totally need 3 numbers for each row and column and diagonals so we have to have 2 evens and 1 odd. To get that, we have to put the even in the 4 corners.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on this course

  This course opened my mind to the history of mathematics. It is fascinating to read the articles from the Crest of Peacock to Trivium and...